Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 12: Snatch

  The Spanish woman behind me was crying, and I have to say I couldn't really blame her. I didn't understand a word her husband was speaking, but his tone was reproachful. The owner of the establishment broke away from his phone conversation saying loudly "The police are on their way!"

  The woman and her husband had entered the Greek restaraunt a few mintes after Steve, Greg, and I. The owner stepped foward to greet, then shut the door behind them. We rehashed the days events while she and her husband ordered. Another patron entered with music blaring so loud on his ipod that I looked up to see the young man recieve the same treatment as we and the Spanish couple had. The owner brusquely shutting the door behind the young man, and seating him after he requested a table for four.

  All that transpired after was related to me by Greg, who had a direct view of the events. The young man changed seats so that his back was to the couple, presumably so that he could look out the front window to check on the arrival of the rest of his party. After a few minutes of waiting he got up and left. The owner went to shut the door tight, and saw something that alarmed him. He turned to the Spanish pair and said loudly in his thick Greek accent, "You loose something? You loose bag?" The woman stared blankly at the empty seat next to her where her purse had been moments before.

  Now we sat and watched as the dark side of travel was revealed. I thought to myself this looks like a good time for a change of scene. Maybe Paris?

No comments:

Post a Comment