Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 8: Prime Meridian


  This morning the sun rose in a beautiful cloudless blue September sky. We all agreed it seemed a perfect day for a cruise up the Thames to Grenwich. After a good rest, and bolstered by the lemon flu medicine that Stylvia (Steve and Sylvia) had brought back the previous afternoon I was ready to get out into the day. As soon as I stepped outside I was glad I had dressed in layers. The cool autumn air nipped at my fingers and toes, and caused my nose to start dripping and burning. By the time we arrived at the river boat I had abandoned any thought of sitting on the upper deck to take pictures. The thought of exposing myself to the wind whipping down the river's surface seemed foolhardy. Maybe the clouds that had rolled in would dissapate before our return.

  By the time we arrived at Grenwich the clouds had formed a solid grey mantle that covered the sky from horizon to horizon. As Greg and I climbed the hill to survey the observatory the cool wind whipped across it's face. We toured the sight taking in the view, buildings, and planetarium. I looked through a spyglass with one foot on either side of the prime meridian. All the while sneezing at regular intervals. I sneezed as we walked back down the hill. I sneezed as we viewed the nautical paintings in the Queens House. I sneezed as we looked at the toy boat exhibition at the National Maritime Museum. Sniffle sniffle. Old Royal Naval College... ..Ah-choo..You get the drift.

  On the ride back I figured, What the hell? As long as I already feel bad I might as well get some good shots from the river. My fingers felt a little numb, my head a little thick as we docked, but I got some great shots. Some good Lebanese food, and some more lemon flu stuff (which I was begining to like a little too much) and I was off to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment