Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 6: The Golden Apple

  Today was spent almost entirely in the National Gallery appreciating art, and listening to opera on my ipod. The beauty of these paintings can hardly be described in words. I only made it halfway through, and found myself spending most of my time in the 16th and 17th Century. It was interesting how popular particular subjects were. There were quite a few examples depicting the The Judgement of Paris, the story that inspired the name of my other blog, The Golden Apple. A note card by one of the pieces asserted that it was probably so popular because it gave the artist an opportunity to paint three female nudes......That seems a little creepy to me. I prefer to think they appreciated the myth and allegory.


 In this story from Greek mythology Zeus is preparing a wedding banquet for Peleus and Thetis and does not invite Eris. In revenge, she creates an apple of pure gold, inscribes it "To The Fairest," and rolls it into the hall during the banquet. Athena, Hera and Aphrodite each claims it, and Zeus orders that someone be found to settle the issue. Paris is chosen due to the virtue of being the handsomest man in the world. The result is a mythological beauty contest. Hera promises him greatness, Athena warlike prowess and Aphrodite the love of the most beautiful woman in the world. In the end Aphrodite gets the apple, Paris gets Helen, and the world gets the Trojan War and a line of condoms.

  By the end of the day I rushed through the rest of the gallery, but was stopped in my tracks by a rendering of the execution of Lady Jane Grey. She reluctantly became queen of England and ruled for nine days before being executed at the age of seventeen by supporters of Queen Mary. It was enormous, and depicted a tragic event with luminous beauty. Wow.


 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the four of you are having a great time taking in the sites, battling crowds, and still getting time to yourselves. A picture of the four of you having fun would be nice. Enjoy! Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect rendition of the Greek myth - I'm stealing it to use with my students on Monday, as I introduce "The Odyssey" to them. Nicely done!! Miss you guys - sounds like London is everything you had dreamed up. See you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete